Cleaning leather with various chemicals will surely damage your leather garments. Therefore, sanitizing wipes or sprays are not a good idea. Disinfectant sprays and wipes can damage the finish of your leather because they contain alcohol. Wipes containing alcohol can cause dryness to leather products. The damage from the wipes also depends on the type of leather. Mostly, it is problematic only for genuine leather.
Table of Contents
What kind of leather wipes should you use?
To remove the stains, marks, and sauces, you can use baby wipes. Do not scrub, start wiping in a circular motion. Baby wipes are safe to use than other types of wipes.
- You can simply clean the leather surface with a damp cloth, it protects from drying out.
What happens if you use Lysol wipes on leather?
If you use excessive Lysol wipes on your leather garments, it will cause the breakdown of the fibers and damage your leather. Synthetic leather has more resistance to disinfectant wipes, but genuine leather is less resistant to alcohol-containing products. Whenever you have used the alcohol-containing wipes on genuine leather, you must use the leather conditioner to avoid further damage due to the drying of the leather.
Can you use Lysol wipes on leather seats?
Lysol wipes are not appropriate for leather seats. Using these types of wipes can increase the risk of damaging your leather seats.
Which is the best way to disinfect the couches?
- A vinegar and water solution is an easy remedy to disinfect couches.
- Make a solution by mixing an equal amount of vinegar and water.
- Clean the couch with a vacuum cleaner.
- Dip the soft cloth in this solution and wring it out, because the cloth should not be completely wet.
The effect of alcohol on genuine leather and synthetic leather:
Alcohol is well known for disinfecting, but it removes the oils from leather surfaces that are essential for their appearance and lifespan. Once the oil and moisture are removed, it causes dryness that leads to splits and cracks in your leather product.
Disinfectant wipes can alter the smell of leather.
- Restore the moisture of your leather by applying a conditioner to the surface of the leather.
All the synthetic leathers such as Pu leather, faux leather, pleather, and leatherette have more resistance to alcohol due to their manufacturing. It has a fabric such as polyester with a polyurethane coating. The polyurethane coating does not have pores like real leather. Therefore, alcohol-containing wipes don’t harm them more.
- There is no issue if you remove the stains with Clorox or Lysol from synthetic leather.
What are the pros of using wipes on leather?
- Disinfectant wipes can kill bacteria and germs.
- Disinfectant wipes are much easier to use than disinfecting them with any other method.
- Disinfectant wipes are a cheap product.
What are the cons of the wipes on the leather?
- Disinfectant wipes are not best for deep cleaning leather.
- Alcohol can dry the genuine leather and cause cracks.
- It may cause water spots.
- Disinfectant wipes have harsh chemicals (acidic or alkaline) that are harmful to leather.
- Bleach-based wipes can cause damage to leather furniture due to a chemical reaction that occurs between water and oxygen over the leather surface.