If your leather items become hard and you want to make them soft, then this article is for you. The hardness of the leather can cause cracking and waste your product. Hard items are not as comfortable to use as well. You should know about the causes of leather stiffness to get rid of them. If you take care of your leather, it will help increase the lifespan of your items.
Table of Contents
Causes of leather stiffness
There are many reasons why leather gets stiff; some of them will be discussed here.
- If you store leather in excessive wetness or dryness, it will damage your leather. Keep your leather in a room where 40% to 50% humidity is present.
- If you use a dryer to dry leather, it will also cause leather stiffness. The best way to dry leather is to naturally dry it.
- If leather is so old and you have used it for many years.
- If you stretch your leather and wear small-sized items that cause stretching, the leather will become less flexible.
Can you treat leather stiffness?
Yes, if you are facing the problem of leather stiffness, you do not need to worry. By using various methods, you can restore your leather. Most methods are easy to use and can be done at home without any skill. Some common methods are given.
- Using mink oil.
- Using coconut oil.
- Using leather conditioner.
- Using olive oil.
- Using Vaseline and alcohol.
Using mink oil
Mink oil is good for making your leather soft and easy to apply. You have to apply just 2 to 3 layers of mink oil on your leather item and allow it to absorb it properly for 2 to 3 days to get good results.
Coconut oil is used
You must properly apply coconut oil to the leather surface. Apply coconut oil in a circular motion with the use of a cloth. Keep in mind that coconut oil can darken your leather one or two shades only.
Use of leather conditioner
The use of a leather conditioner is an appropriate way to soften your leather. You need a good quality conditioner that doesn’t harm your leather. Apply conditioner after cleaning your leather items.
Use of Vaseline and alcohol
First, you have to dab alcohol on the surface of the leather using a cotton pad. When the alcohol has dried, apply Vaseline and leave it on overnight.
Here are a few tips
- Apply oils in a circular motion.
- Test each product in a small area before applying it to entice leather.
- Begin with a small amount of each product.
- Leave the item to absorb the product.
Is it possible to avoid leather stiffness and hardness?
If you take care of your leather and maintain it, then you can prevent leather stiffness and hardness. If you clean your leather regularly and apply a good conditioner, then you can get rid of this.