PU leather stands for polyurethane leather, which means artificial leather, which is synthetically made. The good thing about this leather is that it is used to make various things such as wallets, bags, jackets, shoes, and much more. They can be used by middle-class people who can’t afford real leather. But as its price is not touching the sky, its quality is also not as great as real leather. It looks like real leather but is less durable, which is good to fulfil the wish to wear leather items. Its bad side is that it starts to peel off after some time.
Table of Contents
What other names are in use for PU leather?
So many different names are used for artificial leather. Some of them we are mentioning here is to make the difference between real leather and PU leather.
- Bicast Leather.
- Reconstituted Leather.
- Bonded Leather.
- Split Leather.
- Corrected Grain Leather.
How is PU formed?
PU leather is made from leftover leather (split leather) that is coated with polyurethane. Polyurethane is used for special coatings that last a long time. Polyurethane is recommended to coat artificial leather. Leather will be considered vegan or 100% artificial if it is 100% PU leather. PU leather is made of synthetic polymers that are made by adding colorants, plasticizers, and oils to a polymer resin. Some of the PU leathers are not fully vegan because they have genuine leather straps.
Is PU leather good?
PU leather is good due to some characteristics, such as it looks like real leather and you can get it for a lower price. You can maintain PU leather easily, but it does not have a long life span. You will see some cracks and they will peel off after a while.
What are the pros and cons of PU leather?
- It is easier to manufacture.
- PU does not absorb water.
- is less expensive than genuine leather.
- is simple to clean.
- It does not dry out over time.
- Available in a wide range of colors and styles.
- It requires fewer resources to produce.
- It’s better for the environment.
- Have a look and feel of being fake or synthetic leather
- Not breathable.
- They have chemical or plastic odors.
- It easily wears and cracks over time.
- It does not last as long as real leather.
- PU leather does not develop a patina.
- Easily torn.
What is solvent-free PU leather?
PU leather (solvent-free) is more environmentally friendly and has benefits such as.
- Having a good environment friendliness.
- Less than 100 ppm of DMF(Dimethyl fumarate) content.
- Hydrolysis resistance for over seven years.
- soft and resistant to scratching.
- No wastewater, or exhaust gas.
- Energy usage has decreased.
- can be made by certain grains.
What is DMF-free water-based PU?
DMF stands for dimethyl fumarate. DMF free leather is an upgraded, environment-friendly PU imitation leather with the given qualities.
- The DMF content is 0.
- Energy usage is lower.
- Come with new designs.
- soft and full hand feel.
- There is no wastewater and exhaust gas.
- Energy usage is lower.